Thursday, May 8, 2008

Look out!

I have been waiting for this moment!

OK, so not really. Tegan crawled at 6 months. But like with every first you were they’re cheering them on and waiting breathlessly. I remember putting a toy across the floor and showing Tegan how to do an Army crawl in order to reach it.

Part of Tessa’s charm and claim to fame at school was her content ness. Content because she had to be? Trapped in an area because her butt wouldn’t propel her across the floor? As Mark and I watched Tessa take her first dainty “steps” across Tegan’s room, my heart falls. I am happy for her achievement and new confidence, BUT….I know what this means. I believe she is our last, the baby. I was the baby and I know to well the legacy. Will she run from me, shun me, as she grows older. Her accolades are bittersweet. I love my little one sitting they’re sweetly cooing, as she looks up at me, helpless. Now she moves across the floor at her own will,no longer helpless, going where she chooses, picking up and casting away anything in her path she desires.

Motherhood is full of deep sighs. What is this one??? Sadness seeing my baby growing up? Relief that she isn’t the last one in daycare not crawling. Or do I realize how difficult it will be now having a mobile monkey wrecking crew.

1 comment:

Michelle Smiles said...

I was proud and terrified when Sabrina became mobile. When this little one arrives, I am sure each milestone will be met with some sadness since this will be our last babe.